Desperate situation

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Feb 11 19:47:58 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:

> We had this same conversation some months back, with pretty much the same
> staunch positions being advocated. I build lots of machines, that's part of
> my job. I'm with the above. This has been my experience. Someone stated that
> ALL cables are CS now - I'd be curious to see the basis of that info. It's
> not been my experience at all. Someone else stated that all drives are being
> CS enabled or something to that effect - I buy lots of drives, and that is
> not my experience at all, here in the U.S. I think the standard is
> increasingly being met, and newer equipment is tending to adhere, but if you
> have to deal with a lot of older machines and suppliers, you'll eventually
> run into the anomalies descrbed by Mikkel. I have, and so described them some
> months back. It was certainly a suggestion worth making to Anne...and as we
> see, her results were anomalous, just as Mikkel, and I, have suggested can
> be...

I wonder how may of the people that have "staunch positions" stick
to one brand of drive? It may be that one brand works better with
Cable Select, and another brand works better with Master/Slave...
When mixing brands, or mixing types of drives, I have not run into
any firm rules. (I know, it is better not to mix brands/drive types,
but sometimes you do not have a choice.) Things can get interesting
when you only have 2 IDE channels, and you have a DVD, CD, hard
drive, and an IDE floppy or tape drive in the same machine.

Mikkel