Splitting DVD-9 video to DVD-5

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Sat Feb 11 20:36:22 UTC 2006

Hello,
I am trying to find a way to backup my DVD movie. A lot of HowTo talks about
shrinking and requantising (sp ?) the movie so that it'll fit to a single
layer DVD-R. However, I want instead to just keep everything in the main
feature (the video steam, audio streams, subtitles) and somehow record it to
two single layer DVD-R.

I can copy just the main feature of the a DVD video using dvdbackup. Then I'll
get a set of VOB files, for example:
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_8.VOB

Now here I got stuck. It seems that I need to do is just burn VTS_01_[1-4] to
a the first DVD-R, and burn the rest to the second DVD-R. But I need to
generate the correct IFO and dvd structure for those VOB. What tools can I
use to do that ?

I've look at dvdauthor but could not figure out if it will do what I want, or
how to do it. I tried to just cat-ting the a set of VOBs, then run it pass
dvdauthor to see if it will create a correct DVD structures with the IFOs
files, but it complains about "SCR moves backward ... " and asked me to
re-multiplex. So I got stuck there.

Any help ?

Thanks in advance.
Reuben D. B