gnome/kde and hiding "power off" menü

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 12 10:59:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 01:26 +0100, Boris Glawe wrote:
> But the desktop environment still has the "power off " und
> "reboot" functionality. I cannot and don't want to guarantee, that
> every user (we've got 2500) uses KDE.

The GUIs only provide a button/menu item for the user to use, you want
to remove or restrict the command that they refer to.

Probably removing the "other/all" users execute permissions on the
reboot, poweroff, and halt commands, would do the trick.  You'd also
want to remove the wires from the boxes reset and power switches, and
make sure that CTRL+ALT+DEL, and probably CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE are masked
out.  The latter two, I don't know where to do that.

You might want to try reposting with a better subject line to catch the
attention of someone who knows these tricks.  Such as, stopping
unauthorised users rebooting or shutting down the PC.

I read messages from the public lists.