gdm fails to start

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 12 12:23:11 UTC 2006

Andrzej Maciejewski wrote:

>>Does X start from a user logged in using runlevel 3 and using startx to
>>launch X, or do you get the same error?
>>
>>Jim
>

> Hi Jim,
> after booting gdm does not starts but I can login from text console. Then
> I make startx and everything works.
> Probably I have made an error while upgrading the kernel. To make this
> I have to install newer version of udev.
> -Andrzej
>

>>--

It have a similar problem with an RHEL clone updated to to FC5 test2
that does not start the X server in runlevel 5 but works fine in
runlevel 3 using startx.
I did not investigate the problem much on this very unsupported system.
I assume that something in runlevel 5 is amiss. Maybe a service is not
loaded that is needed by gdm and runlevel 5 execution.

It is great that at least runlevel 3 and startx work for you. Did you
disable any services that you though might not be used?

Jim

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged
demo.