Samba problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 09:34:21 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 22:44, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> ignore these messages...well perhaps the issue of homes you should fix
> as your [homes] share isn't working right but the others are standard
> fare.
>
> to see a complaint about your [homes] share, try...
> # testparm -s
>
> A quick explanation of the 'Error was Transport endpoint'/error writing
> 5 bytes to... messages
>
> Traditionally, SMB connections were on port 139. Win2K and WinXP will
> connect simultaneously to ports 139 & 445 and rudely drop 445 when they
> get what they want from port 139. The logged error is samba simply
> logging the notice of the fact that the port connection simply dropped
> communications, nothing more.
>
> So if you really don't want these messages in your logs, you can add to
> the [general] section of smb.conf
>
> smb ports = 139
>
> default 'smb ports = 445 139'

This is helpful, thanks.  I know there is one windows box on the lan that is
mis-configured, so it's likely that that is causing them, then.

My problem stems from the fact that I have had samba and network cups printing
working beautifully for years in Mandriva, and am puzzled sometimes about the
differences that I find in Fedora, which is why it seems relevant to ask on
the Fedora list.  The question of the 'homes' share, for instance:  the
definition is identical to the one that was working on my old installation.
Similarly, the cups server is refusing connections.

I'll continue digging, but these two services are vital to me.

Thanks for your help.

Anne