Installing Grub And A Kernel

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Feb 13 15:14:39 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:35:31PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Rejean Proulx wrote:
> >I need to reinstall my kernel and grub using the rescue cd or the rescue
> >option on the install dvd for fc4. I tried the command grub-install but it
> >won't install grub  because the kernel hasn't changed. There is no
> >kernel on
> >md0. How do I make it install the kernel again. I am trying to fix my boot
> >partition to get it to boot.
> >
> >As there is no screen reader on the fc4 dvd, it is difficult for me to
> >search the cd as I must get my wife to read  the screens. Sure wish speakup
> >was on that cd.
> >
> >Is there a documented list of tools and scripts documented somewhere for
> >the
> >rescue process?
> >
> >Rejean Proulx
> >Visit my family at
> >http://interfree.ca
> >MSN is:
> >rejean at interfree.ca
> >

> The rescue CD should contain tools to make recovery easier for all.
>
> Anyway, I believe you want to enter Linux rescue. Next you want to
> chroot /mnt/sysimage.
> You also want be sure that you have the /boot partition on your system
> mounted. This should have become detected by the rescue mode entry.
> However, since you do not have a kernel installed, you might need to
> mount the boot partition. Usually you will have a /mnt/sysimage for your
> root partition and another /mnt/sysimage/boot partition before you
> chroot to /mnt/sysimage.
>
> List of tasks you need to do.
> - Get into rescue mode and chroot to /mnt/sysimage.
> - Ensure that you have your /boot partition mounted.
> - Change to the RPMS directory or a directory which contains the kernel
> that you want to install.
> - Install the desired kernel RPM with rpm -ivh
> - check /etc/grub.conf to see if it contains information for the kernel.
> - run grub-install /dev/<my-boot-drive>
> - reboot
>
> I hope this advise helps.

This is ok as far as it goes but grub-install sometimes does not work
in situations such as this. The you do this.
Once you have chroot-ed and checked the grub.conf then run the
following:
grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Of course the hd0 and hd0.0 depend on where you want to put the MBR.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484