Samba problems - browsing resolved

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Feb 13 16:06:43 UTC 2006

On Mon February 13 2006 10:32 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm still not sure why it wasn't working, since testparm seemed happy
> enough, but I went ahead and defined a few shared directories, and now
> everything is working correctly.  Most odd!  I had thought to get 'homes'
> working first, then add things in later.
I've found Samba, as implemented in Fedora, to be one of the most daunting
aspects of the distro. Having used PCLinuxOS (a Mandrake derivative), and
MEPIS (a debian derivative), I find it strange that Fedora hasn't addressed
this. The documentation is at best confusing - I've even printed out the
entire 1100 page Samba manual. Things don't work as described, you do
something, seemingly the same way a dozen times, and then, on the next try,
it works. It's just too damned hard - I hope the issue gets addressed. I was
supposed to post a RFE for feature enhancement, but I never got around to it.
With MEPIS and PCLinuxOS, Samba just works. In PCLinuxOS you turn it on with
a simple interface that asks you a few questions and you're done. With MEPIS,
it comes up working - if you install to a machine on a Windows network, when
you reboot, you see the network. Perhaps there are security concerns, but,
these should be addressed, and the whole process simplified. I've seen many
threads such as this over the past 20 months on this list, so this is not
just me...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA