Strange things in Yum

Dan geekboxnz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 20:55:31 UTC 2006

I had a similar problem before when after many frustrating hours, was the
cause of a proxy setting in the env.

try env command and look for HTTP_PROXY environment variable.

If there is something there, then that maybe your problem.

try unset that and rerun yum and see what happens.

another test is to try connect to an ftp server using terminal ftp client.
That also throws error as it seems to read the same env varibles used to
defin a proxy as yum does. The different is it provides better error message
which helped me in the original situation.

If it is the case, the next daunting task is to figure out what script is
setting the env variable :D

also i think there are two env varibles one uppercase and one lowercase.

Hope that helps