gnome/kde and hiding "power off" menü

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 13 20:55:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 12:49 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> But preventing a user that has physical access to the machine from
> rebooting it or shutting it down is rather pointless. They can
> always pull the plug to do a shutdown. (Unless you have an internal
> UPS.) I would rather let them do a controlled shutdown...

I tend to agree, though I can think of situations like a public
demonstration PC locked into a box, or schools where you don't trust the
students, where making rebooting/powering-down difficult is beneficial.

I think you also have to take care of other matters if you allow people
to reboot computers that aren't their own, so that they can't easily
boot from other media, or change boot parameters, to bypass your
security.

I read messages from the public lists.