OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Birt, Jeffrey birtj at umr.edu
Mon Feb 13 22:28:09 UTC 2006

This penile envy of Microsoft is amusing.

If I am in the market for a PC I can find plenty with the OS
pre-installed (most of which will be MS), I can also buy a 'bare bones'
system and install what ever I want.  Dell, Gateway, et al preinstall
what the vast majority of their consumers want; nobody (relatively
speaking) wants Linux preinstalled so it is not worth their effort to do
so (can you imagine all the whining from Linux folks if their favorite
flavor of Linux was not offered but others ere). IF you are buying lots
of boxes from then they WILL install the OS of your choice (Dell does so
for our university).

As an analogy, picture yourself buying a sports car, say a Ford Mustang.
You go to the dealer and love the car but it comes with BF Goodrich
tires.  You prefer Pirelli as you believe them to be superior in
performance.  Do you whine and throw fits and expect someone to force
Ford to offer the tires of your liking on the new car?  No, you would
either buy it and change the tires out or look to another brand (Chevy,
Toyota) who might offer Pirelli tires.  Ford does not offer the BF
Goodrich tires as part of some evil anti Pirelli plot.  They simply try
to supply what they think their consumers will most likely buy, after
all not many folks would be in the market for a new Mustang sans
tires!!!!!

Jeffrey T. Birt
Electronics Engineer
Integrated Systems Facility