64 Bit Kernels On 32 Bit Installs

Rejean Proulx rejean at interfree.ca
Tue Feb 14 00:17:32 UTC 2006

This could well be a silly question, but I'm sure many would wonder the same
thing. I have a 64 bit kernel but installed the 32 bit install. Can I put in
a 64 bit kernel and will it still work?

A reasonable question is, why didn't you install a 64 bit install in the
first place. The answer is, I tried. I could not get the cd's or dvd to pass
the test during the install even though it passed the sh1sum test or what
ever it is. I tried ignoring that fact, and it was a stupid thing to do as
it crashed. If I could install a 64  bit kernel with speakup, I could
upgrade when fc5 comes and maybe I'd get lucky and the upgrade would leave
my kernel alone so my machine would still talk. That assumes that I get my
current grub kernel problems solved, which I'm sure I will.

 Rejean Proulx
Visit my family at http://interfree.ca
MSN is: rejean at interfree.ca
Ham License VA3REJ