Sendmail Smart Relay Configuring

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:15:21 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I seem to be in a bit of a pickle.  I can't seem to get my Fedora Core 4
machine to do smart relay to an smtp server that I have an account on to
be able to send mail.

Work has decided to give me a new machine and with that comes web
restriction where I don't have access to send mail on port 587.  So
since I still can connect to my home network, I want to be able to
forward mail to my home machine and have it relay mail on that port to
the external smtp server.

I have been googling around and see that I need to configure my
sendmail.mc file with the following entries:

dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.gmail.com')
define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `IPC $h 697')dnl

then run the script that will update my sendmail.cf file.

Issue 1.

I don't have a default sendmail.cf file and I can't seem to find where
the .cf examples are on my machine.

Issue 2 (Which is probably caused by issue one)

When I run the m4 command I get the following:
[user at FC4FW share]$  m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc:10: m4: Cannot open
/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4: No such file or directory

I also tried looking at the submit.cf file which has a smart host entry
that I can put in it

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSsmtp.foo.bar

But I don't see where I can specify a specific port number to send mail
on since the external server requires that I send mail on port 587.

Questions1:
How can I generate the sendmail.cf file so that I can have the settings
I want or is it ok to just edit the submit.cf file?

If it is ok to just edit the submit.cf file, how can make sure that I
can send mail on a specifc port to an external server that requires
authentication.