Sendmail Smart Relay Configuring

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Feb 14 01:39:16 UTC 2006

Am Di, den 14.02.2006 schrieb Lovell Mcilwain um 2:15:

> I seem to be in a bit of a pickle.  I can't seem to get my Fedora Core 4
> machine to do smart relay to an smtp server that I have an account on to
> be able to send mail.
>
> Work has decided to give me a new machine and with that comes web
> restriction where I don't have access to send mail on port 587.  So
> since I still can connect to my home network, I want to be able to
> forward mail to my home machine and have it relay mail on that port to
> the external smtp server.
>
> I have been googling around and see that I need to configure my
> sendmail.mc file with the following entries:
>
> dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.gmail.com')
> define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `IPC $h 697')dnl
>
> then run the script that will update my sendmail.cf file.
>
> Issue 1.
>
> I don't have a default sendmail.cf file and I can't seem to find where
> the .cf examples are on my machine.

You deleted it by accident?

rpm -V sendmail

If you still have the sendmail.mc you can regenerate the sendmail.cf
(given you have the sendmail-cf rpm installed). There must too be a
submit.cf.

> Issue 2 (Which is probably caused by issue one)
>
> When I run the m4 command I get the following:
> [user at FC4FW share]$  m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:10: m4: Cannot open
> /usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4: No such file or directory

yum install sendmail-cf

> I also tried looking at the submit.cf file which has a smart host entry
> that I can put in it
>
> # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> DSsmtp.foo.bar

Do not edit the .cf files!

> But I don't see where I can specify a specific port number to send mail
> on since the external server requires that I send mail on port 587.

Why would you change the submission agent behaviour by editing
submit.mc/.cf?

> Questions1:
> How can I generate the sendmail.cf file so that I can have the settings
> I want or is it ok to just edit the submit.cf file?

See above: don't edit either of them manually.
If you want to use a different port for sending mail out, then do as you
found out by googling. It is a Sendmail FAQ

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.39

> If it is ok to just edit the submit.cf file, how can make sure that I
> can send mail on a specifc port to an external server that requires
> authentication.

First part was answered twice by me now. Second part, once you
reconfigured a mailer to use a different port you too have to configure
SMTP AUTH for Sendmail as client. Both are different and independent
issues. How you configure Sendmail to send authentication data to a
server is explained on

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html#smtpclient
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-812.html#812AUTH

(Do not use confDEF_AUTH_INFO as that is deprecated and causes problem
on Sendmail >= 8.12.

Alexander

Serendipity 02:28:11 up 3 days, 11:19, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08