Automatic update

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Tue Feb 14 07:50:38 UTC 2006

Anthony Messina <amessina at messinet.com> writes:

 > 	autolearn=ham version=3.0.4
 >
 > Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
 > > One of the original reasons that I chose Redhat/Fedora was the ability
 > > Ubuntu is all about.
 > >
 > > -pmr
 > >
 > yum has a service for nightly update in fc4 (and maybe others). why
 > don't you edit the associated scripts to only download the packages, not
 > install them?  that would be the identical behavior that ms allows, or
 > you could choose to have them automatically applied by just enabling the
 > current service.  as another writer mentioned, you kernel is never
 > updated per se.  the new one is just installed and /etc/grub.conf is
 > changed to boot into the new one, but your old kernel stays safe and sound.

This looks quite adequate to meet my needs.  Thanks for the tip.

So one of my systems has the service and another does not.  Hmmmmm.  I
drill into the issue further and it would appear that ATrpms provided
yum for the non-yum service system.  Grrrrrrrr.  Fedora's own dll
hell.  And now it would appear that a total re-install would be
required to undo the dependence that particular system has on the
ATrpms packages.  Live and learn.  Whatever it was that convinced me
to enable the ATrpms repo is long since forgotten, but I will never
use the site again, but to meet an isolated and well defined need that
cannot be met from a less intrusive packager.

-pmr