ref: sound problem after updating kernel

Don Bedsole dbedsole at carolina.rr.com
Tue Feb 14 16:11:45 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 22:13, Edison Eustachio wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a dual boot machine with Fedora Core 4 and an Windows XP.
> Both systems were working fine until but I decided to update the
> packages using yum (yum update).
> This command have replaced the kernel and other packages on my Linux
> system.
>
> After updating the packages, everything keeps working fine on Linux, but
> the Windows does not play any sound anymore.
> Before update the packages on Linux, Windows was able to play sound
> properly.
>
> Do someone have any idea about which might cause this sort of problem?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help.
>
> Edson Eustáchio

Hi, I don't think anyone has answered this, so I'll give it a shot.  Edson, I
don't think your kernel update has anything to do with your sound problems on
Windows.  In a dual boot setup the different operating systems reside on
different partitions of your hard drive.  They should have nothing to do with
one another (You can "mount" a Windows partition under Linux and a Linux
partition under Windows and get access to one partition from the other, but I
don't think you have done this).  Did you make any changes to your Windows
operating system before the sound went out?  What have you done to trouble
shoot the problem?  I think Windows XP has a troubleshooting wizard that you
might find in the Help Center.  Not to be insulting, but check the most
obvious things first (a good place to start when troubleshooting any
problem).  If nothing else helps, you might try to use the Systerm Restore
option (NOT, I repeat NOT System Recovery).
--
For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever
believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.