Pen-drive no longer automounts

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 14 19:03:30 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 13 February 2006 22:29, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
>
>>On 2/14/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I think that I must have stopped some necessary service on this box, as
>>>my pen-drive no longer automounts.  I have to run 'fdisk -l' to find its
>>>dev name, then manually mount it.
>>>I checked the Services section from the Systems Settings menu, and I
>>>appear to have the same set running as on another box where the pen drive
>>>mounts, so I don't know where else to look for a clue.
>>>Could someone please tell me what is needed to automount, so that I can
>>>check that they are all present and running?  Thanks
>>
>>HAL service?
>>

> Whatever upset it yesterday has gone away today.  It's working again.

This puts me in mind of something I encountered when using a
USB disc. Sometimes the system recognized it as sde and sometimes
as sda. I eventually put two entries into fstab, one for sda1
and one for sde1. If one mount failed, I tried the other.
I always used the same USB port.

Since I dislike automount for hard drives and floppies, I never tried to
get that to work, and it never did. Come to think of it, I may disable
that for my CDROM drive as well. Hmm. I don't see anything in fstab
which seems to be related. I'll have to do some research on that.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't use the GNOME CD
Creator, so I'd like to disable that from popping up when I put
in a blank CDROM. Guess I need to do some research.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.