OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Feb 14 21:25:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-14-02 at 13:28 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > Mike McCarty:

> > Tim:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Mike McCarty:
> >
> >>Please point out where the coercion is. I still don't see any.
> >>More specifically, where are the "force, law, authority, or
> >>fear"?
> >

> > What part of the big bully boy saying, "that if you want to do business
> > with us you have to do it our way," don't you see as intimidation?
>
> No, I don't. I see adults making adult decisions and making
> voluntary contracts. A contract is always a quid pro quo.
> "You do this for me, I do that for you." Coercion is "You
> do this, or I shoot you in the head." That's use of force.
> "You do this, or I'll put you into jail." That's use of law.
> "You do this, or I'll fire you". That's authority.
> "You do this, or I'll do horrible things to you, things you've
> never even thought of, things that will hurt." That's fear.
>
> I see no force, law, authority, or fear in what you describe.

Since :

"WordNet (r) 2.0"
coercion
     n 1: the act of compelling by force of authority
     2: using force to cause something; "though pressed into rugby
        under compulsion I began to enjoy the game"; "they didn`t
        have to use coercion" syn: compulsion

AND

"WordNet (r) 2.0"
authority
     n 1: the power or right to give orders or make decisions; "he has
          the authority to issue warrants"; "deputies are given
          authorization to make arrests" syn: authorization,
          authorisation, dominance, say-so
     2: (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative)
        control over others; "the authorities have issued a
        curfew"
     3: an expert whose views are taken as definitive; "he is an
        authority on corporate law"
     4: freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities;
        "his assurance in his superiority did not make him
        popular"; "after that failure he lost his confidence";
        "she spoke with authority" syn: assurance, self-assurance,
         confidence, self-confidence, sureness
     5: an administrative unit of government; "the Central
        Intelligence Agency"; "the Census Bureau"; "Office of
        Management and Budget"; "Tennessee Valley Authority" syn:
         agency, federal agency, government agency, bureau,
         office
     6: official permission or approval; "authority for the program
        was renewed several times" syn: authorization, authorisation,
         sanction
     7: an authoritative written work; "this book is the final
        authority on the life of Milton"

AND

"WordNet (r) 2.0"
force
     n 1: a unit that is part of some military service; "he sent
          Caesar a force of six thousand men" syn: military unit,
           military force, military group
     2: one possessing or exercising power or influence or
        authority; "the mysterious presence of an evil power";
        "may the force be with you"; "the forces of evil" syn: power
     3: (physics) the influence that produces a change in a physical
        quantity; "force equals mass times acceleration"
     4: group of people willing to obey orders; "a public force is
        necessary to give security to the rights of citizens"
        syn: personnel
     5: a powerful effect or influence; "the force of his eloquence
        easily persuaded them"
     6: an act of aggression (as one against a person who resists);
        "he may accomplish by craft in the long run what he cannot
        do by force and violence in the short one" syn: violence
     7: physical energy or intensity; "he hit with all the force he
        could muster"; "it was destroyed by the strength of the
        gale"; "a government has not the vitality and forcefulness
        of a living man" syn: forcefulness, strength
     8: a group of people having the power of effective action; "he
        joined forces with a band of adventurers"
     9: (of a law) having legal validity; "the law is still in
        effect" syn: effect
     v 1: to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical,
          moral or intellectual means :"She forced him to take a
          job in the city"; "He squeezed her for information"
          syn: coerce, hale, squeeze, pressure
     2: urge or force (a person) to an action; constrain or motivate
        syn: impel
     3: move with force, "He pushed the table into a corner" syn: push
        ant: pull
     4: impose or thrust urgently, importunately, or inexorably;
        "She forced her diet fads on him" syn: thrust
     5: squeeze like a wedge into a tight space; "I squeezed myself
        into the corner" syn: wedge, squeeze
     6: force into or from an action or state, either physically or
        metaphorically; "She rammed her mind into focus"; "He
        drives me mad" syn: drive, ram
     7: do forcibly; exert force; "Don't force it!"
     8: cause to move along the ground by pulling; "draw a wagon";
        "pull a sled" syn: pull, draw ant: push
     9: take by force; "Storm the fort" syn: storm

Since Microsoft holds the majority of the Desktop PC market,
and they are the only ones who can grant access to their IP
or can grant recognition that any product is supported they
are by definition in a position of authority. Their is no need
for them to be part of a crime enforcement or legal justice
institution in order to be in a position of authority, nor do
they have to use physical force, law or fear. They do use the
the force of legal validity and exercise power, influence and
authority to compel vendors to sign the most restrictive
contracts they can legally get away with. This is a common
practise in most big businesses, but many small and medium
sized businesses, prefer to use fair and reasonable contracts
in order to provide good returns for themselves and yet
allow their customers to enhance their products as they see
fit.

The authority Microsoft holds over the vendor, is that they
reserve the right to have all previously distributed documents
returned, and will no longer provide new documentation or
certify any new drivers and may use patent protection to stop
the vendor from providing any drivers created using information
in previously obtained documentation. This effectively would
stop the vendor from being allowed to provide drivers for
any MS products. MS has been found guilty of using fear as a
tactic by threatening to launch patent litigation and or
piracy audits on vendors when they wanted to alter the
contracts. Microsoft has enough resources to drive almost
any individual, organization or institution into bankruptcy
whether or not they have done anything wrong.

You don't have to be negative to have authority, see definition 6.