Re: Software Raid On Boot

Rejean Proulx wrote:
Does software raid work on a boot device?

I believe "not exactly." If you are using mirroring, it can be done: google for how to, I think Dell has published on this.

Remember, the BIOS has to load the grub including its menu, the kernel and initrd.

The trick is to make /boot appear in just the right place.

There is nothing to prevent you combining (say) hda and hdc, being like drives and taking a slice of each as (say) ext2 of the same size, installing grub & the kernel to hda1, grub also to /dev/hdc1 and at convenient times (say on shutdown and kernel installation) just running dd to mirror the partition.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa computerdatasafe com au  Z1aaaaaaa computerdatasafe com au

do not reply off-list