Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption (warning: long rant follows)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Feb 15 02:05:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 11:16 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 09:46, John Pierce wrote:
> ><<This week, we're dealing with Microsoft's Antispyware Beta -
> >in recent updates, it has definitions that ferret out parts of Norton
> >Antivirus as malicious, and ask to remove it!!! If someone clicks yes,
> > it takes registry hacking to get back ->>
> >
> >Claude, if possible, you should document what this is doing and hang
> >on to it.  Could be useful by the DOJ.
> >
> By now, referenceing these mailing lists in general, this is a well
> known problem since the last update by M$.  Since they've a reputation
> for such tricks, I'd have to assume that these reports of registry
> trashing are true, and thats its 100% intentional since M$ wants to
> sell their own version of Norton et all.
>
> Just another reason why any M$ product that is not required to run the
> machine, is ruthlessly hunted down and exterminated here.  Even the dos
> I use when I need to use a dos is drdos.  No windows machines allowed
> on the premises, and never has been since forever.  90% of the time,
> the cd that comes with a new toy device I might buy, is never inserted
> into the cd drive.
>
> The DOJ was right, but Bush didn't want to see the business disruption
> that breaking up the cartel could generate.  And that WON'T change till
> Bush is gone.  I vote independent, and I voted for somebody else the
> last time, so don't blame me.

I think if you look at dates, the action to squash the anti-trust
settlement was well underway while the previous president was still in
office.  You cannot blame the current leader (in any organization) for
things done before he took the position (although he should be willing
to correct what is wrong).
Yes, I am extremely frustrated that things are on the track they are,
but it comes from within all levels of politics as well.

M$ makes sure to butter the proper persons/organizations.  Look at what
was done when Windows98 was being released.  M$ had two registry keys
that allowed themselves and the NSA to access any machine on the
internet that ran 98.  It was only when that was identified during the
beta testing and made public that they were forced to acknowledge the
fact less than 3 months before release.  Microsoft then agreed to remove
the access but it has not stopped their attempts to intrude and make you
play by their rules.

The latest attempt that is presently in progress is the TCP (trusted
computing platform) chips they are working (with others) to get
installed on motherboards.  The TCP chips will be used to assist in
forcing DRM compliance among other things.  What I find most threatening
here is the restrictions on what processors can be used with that chip.