Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:40:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 17:13, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >>Its a 2.4gHz Athlon box.
> >>
> >>Something wrong with your 58 second machine there Mike :-(
> >
> > ----
> > take his commentary with a grain of salt and recognize that he is using
> > FC-2 which I am sure few will argue was better abandoned for FC-3
>
> Are you suggesting that FC4 would load it any faster?

Probably but I think you have a specific problem on that machine.
I've got a dual pII-450 running FC1 that starts OO in about 10
seconds.  The first instance of Firefox with google as the home
page takes about 5 seconds, another window about 2.  Does
hdparm -T -t show somewhere near 30MB/sec for buffered reads?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com