Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 05:16:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 22:20, Mike McCarty wrote:

> > Word installs a ton of stuff locally and starts it at boot
> > even if you think you are loading it from a network drive.
>
> But it's not installed on that machine. It's on a server running
> NT. All that exists on the W95 machine is a "shortcut" on the
> desktop. I've heard the disc on the server crank up when I click
> on that link.

I didn't think you could run Office programs without
installing them on a machine.  You can do a network install
or tell it to install (some of it) on a network drive but
I thought you had to go through the motions locally and
give it the serial number.  What version of word is
this?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com