OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Feb 15 16:13:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-15-02 at 14:18 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

> > > Just for clarity, are you saying NVidia does not provide drivers for
> > > Linux?
> > > They most certainly do, and they are good drivers. They may have a
> > > binary component which is not open source, but that is not relevant
> > > to this topic.
> >
> > No, that should be a different topic: How the GPL sabotages open
> > source adoption.  The GPL restrictions have done more to
> > maintain the Microsoft monopoly than any Microsoft employee.
>
> Biases and misperceptions about the GPL have done ...
>
> > Even when a vendor tries their best to supply drivers it
> > doesn't work out very well and they aren't accepted in the
> > distributions.
>
> So, *BSD should have better driver availability that Linux? (Except for
> openBSD, since Theo enforces the mutual free licensing principle outside
> the contract.)

For the most part, unfortunately yes. FreeBSD supported many SATA
chip sets before Linux. I am not sure what else it supports better,
because we only use it on servers. When I tryed to use it for a
workstation, it was difficult to set up, and there was no support
for CD-ROM access in wine. Since wine was seriously broken for
extended periods by RH, I no longer use it, but use tsclient, and
have an old Compaq running Win2k for the apps I need. FreeBSD
does support tsclient, but is still a bear to configure as a
workstation.