Too many unicode_start processes

Peter J. Stieber developer at toyon.com
Wed Feb 15 17:32:34 UTC 2006

PS = Pete Stieber

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-February/msg01112.html

PS>> I have simple Bash shell scripts (first line has #!/bin/bash)
PS>> that seem  to start up many unicode_start processes, but
PS>> it doesn't occur every time I run the scripts. I haven't been
PS>> able to figure out what triggers this behavior. The script that
PS>> I believe caused the problem in my prior post is one that
PS>> cleans up a source directory hierarchy.
PS>>
PS>> #!/bin/bash
PS>> # Checking to see if your home directory exists.
PS>> TOP_DIR=$HOME
PS>> if test ! -d $TOP_DIR; then
PS>>   echo ERROR: Directory $TOP_DIR does not exist!
PS>>   exit
PS>> fi
PS>> # Checking to see if a source directory exists.
PS>> SOURCE_DIR=$TOP_DIR/Source
PS>> if test ! -d $SOURCE_DIR; then
PS>>   echo ERROR: Directory $SOURCE_DIR does not exist!
PS>>   exit
PS>> fi
PS>> cd $SOURCE_DIR
PS>> find . -name aclocal.m4 -exec rm {} \;
PS>> find . -name configure -exec rm {} \;
PS>> find . -name Makefile.in -exec rm {} \;
PS>> find . -depth -type d -name autom4te-2.53.cache -exec rm -rf {} \;
PS>> find . -depth -type d -name autom4te.cache -exec rm -rf {} \;
PS>>
PS>> I have run this script many times since and haven't
PS>> seen the problem, but every once in a while my
PS>> Bash scipts start a ton of unicode_start processes.
PS>> I use the system provided .bashrc.
PS>>
PS>> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might
PS>> cause all of the unicode start processes?

JR = Joel Rees
JR> Got any non-US-ASCII characters in path names?
JR> Like file names with umlauts and such in them?

No. If I did wouldn't the problem occur every time I ran the script?

I have seen this behavior with other bash shell scripts I have written
as well, but the problem is intermittent. When I Google "unicode_start"
I can't find anyone complaining about a similar problem. It makes me
think I have a configuration problem, but I'm not sure what it is.

$ set | grep LANG
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Pete