migrating to new disk - selinux problem?

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Wed Feb 15 17:52:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 15:25 +0100, Petr Fischer wrote:
> I really don't want install fresh system on new disk (like windows
> reinstalls... ugly... fusty...) - I need migration by transparent
> filesystem way - and this didn't work - should I post to fedora-dev
> list?
>
> What about "cp -ax"? Is all (selinux) attributes really copied?

No.  You need cp --preserve=all to preserve SELinux attributes (or at
least --preserve=context).  BTW, setfiles has an alternate root path
option (-r /path/to/altroot) that can be used to label a filesystem
under a different root, which can be helpful when constructing a root
filesystem separate from the operational one.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency