Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 15 20:18:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 12:14 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> MicroSoft word on this machine loads more than 10x as fast
> as OO does with Linux. It's the slowest OS I have used on
> this machine. I can prove that with benchmarks, running
> MSDOS off of a floppy.

Do NOT muddle up applications and software.  The behemoth that is
OpenOffice is an *application*, it's tedious on any OS that I've tried
it on.  Its slowness is inherent in the way that it's been made to try
and be all things to all people.  In comparison Microsoft's Office is
heavily optimised for their platform.

When you start comparing applications designed well for the systems that
they're used on, there isn't *that* huge sort of difference between them
that you're blathering about.

> If that's rubbish, then you are unworthy of responding to.
> I suggest you actually *try* running some benchmarks using
> Linux and MSDOS from floppy before commenting. MSDOS from
> floppy is faster than Linux.

Having had the displeasure of using MS-DOS applications from a floppy
disk in the dim and distant past, and comparing it running Linux as it
is from a hard drive (which IS the kind of comparison you are ranting
about with the daft statement you made), not to mention also doing some
Linux stuff from a floppy, I refute your ludicrous claim that:  "Linux
is by far the very slowest OS I have ever run on comparable hardware.
The speed I experience is comparable to running MSDOS off of floppy."

You're making some ridiculous claims.

I read messages from the public lists.