ref: Microsoft barriers to Linux adoption on the desktop

Joel Rees joel_rees at sannet.ne.jp
Wed Feb 15 21:45:27 UTC 2006

This is the misconception:

> If the "Linux Community" wants to promote Linux, and show it is better
> than Windows

This argument has proceeded apace like it has many times before.

I'll offer this allegory (which I'm sure is not relevant with me) and
quit abusing the list by taking the bait --

If money and assurances are grease, old-fashioned EULAs are like a
while on an axle with no bearings.

GPL is like bearings on the axle, requires much less grease, but you do
have to use the stupid bearing to get the benefit. It requires
abandoning the old business model, which has gummed up economies from
time immemorial. (But it does not require turning to communism, no.
Communism is not the only alternative to making money your immutable
highest priority.)

BSD/MIT style licenses are like maglev, it takes a lot of energy, but
the benefits make sense in some cases, mostly involving very large
businesses. Public domain is like being in free-fall.

And it is the last two points that indicate why Linux gets more support
from the people who make it work, and that is what the hardware vendors
who are scared of Linux do not understand.

Now, you who are making yourself a trolling troll by arguing against
history (and repeating an ancient flamewar), if you don't like the
license, quit trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg and go
use a license you like.