Multiple soundcards

I just bought a Creative Labs USB Sound Blaster MP3+ for my laptop so I
could get a line in and headphone out on my docking bay. I've set it up
as the default sound card and it's working fine, the only thing is
whenever I want to take the laptop out of the docking bay or unplug the
sound card I don't have any sound unless I set the default back to the
internal sound card, is there a way this could be done automatically?
Like if the default sound card isn't there, use the other one.

TIA

--
Jean-Rene Cormier <jrc jrcormier com>