gdm questions

William Yardley fedora-list at veggiechinese.net
Fri Feb 17 06:11:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:47:49PM -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-16-02 at 17:29 -0500, William Yardley wrote:

> > Is there a way to (automatically and / or manually) lock the screen
> > besides using "gdmflexiserver"? I think that's more intended for
> > starting a second session than locking the existing session.
> >
> > I'd like something like what xscreensaver does, only with the gdm login
> > screen.
>
> Whoops.  Forget what I wrote earlier.  In gdm.conf, find these options:
>
> BackgroundProgram
> RunBackgroundProgramAlways
>
> Change them to something like this:
>
> BackgroundProgram=xscreensaver -nosplash
> RunBackgroundProgramAlways=true

Yeah - I tried that, but that does something different. That runs it
while the GDM login screen is up, and does *not* start xscreensaver
after you login (AFAICT).

I can get xscreensaver to start by putting it in .xsession (though IIRC,
GDM has a problem where it ignores .xsession) or something of that sort,
but that still doesn't let me use the GDM login to get back in.

The reason I want to do this is because I'm using the pam_ssh module to
authenticate to both my desktop and ssh-agent; I was hoping that I could
have it automagically lock me out / require re-login after a period of
time.