[POLITICS] Re: When is the Last Time You Booted to Windows?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 06:15:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 23:23, Craig White wrote:

> There are those who believe it is the GPL that makes software free and
> free in many ways other than no cost.

Perhaps, but they should consider that licenses like perl, X
and apache's are free in even more ways.

>  Obviously, you don't agree and
> it's not necessary that you agree but your rant on this topic clearly
> goes against the grain of most of those on this list.

Well, if they have any understanding left of the original
concept of freedom perhaps they won't mind seeing an opposing
view.

> Even the term 'viral' that you used is argumentative and in sympathy
> with the often expressed opinions that seem to emanate from Redmond.

That's the real harm.  The GPL is keeping well-tested useful
software off of users computers, and helping keep the monopoly
in business.

> Personally, I don't wish to debate you on the benefits or detriments of
> GPL license - it is simply pissing in the wind and more waste of
> bandwidth of this list.

Yes, just like the hundreds of COPYING files in the distribution
waste disk space.  I don't expect it to change, I'm just
suprised that anyone likes it.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com