Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Feb 19 19:29:11 UTC 2006

On 19 Feb 2006 at 10:52, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:52:25 -0600
From:           	"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:        	Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I copied an IDE drive that is reporting bad blocks to a SATA drive.
> > When booting from the SATA drive, it doesn't see the LVM, but If I boot from
> > the FC 4 DVD, and run linux rescue, I can assess the drive, with no errors.
> > I'm thinking that something in the boot process is pointing to /dev/hda2,
> > instead of the /dev/sda2. I've looked at the lvm commands, but haven't found
> > the command that might be able to change this.
> >
> > I could just rebuild this on the SATA drive, but also work on the G4L project
> > (Ghost for Linux), and could see others trying to upgrade systems to SATA
> > drives, and if it is possible, would like to add the instructions.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> What does your Grub config file look like?
>
> Mikkel

Thanks for the reply.
Here is the current grub.conf file from the /dev/hda1, and it would currently
be the same on the /dev/sda1. When booting from the sda1 (SATA) drive
with the /dev/hda drive disconnected. It would come up with the grub
options, and would load the kernel, but then the LVM would not be found.
I notice the #boot=/dev/hda  (but that being a comment, would it need to be
changed, and to what).

Thanks.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.1831_FC4)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.1830_FC4)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4.img

> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC Seti at Home Total Credits 444388.742000