Bocking IP's rather than Email domains

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Feb 20 02:40:32 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett writes:

>>And, it is.
>
> Oh fudge.  That explains it all.
>
> Questions:
> Is sourceforge outgrowing its hardware?
>
> Or is it that badly miss-configured?

Sourceforge is attempting to get the upper hand on their bandwidth by
throttling file downloads off the project web servers.  Sourceforge wants
people to distribute the project files through their mirrored FTP plant, for
which they don't have to provide much bandwidth (compared to their web
server plant for which they have to provide all of the bandwidth).

That works fine for official, relatively infrequent, releases.  But the FTP
file release system is just too much rigamarole for relatively more frequent
source snapshots; where all you want is just to throw some files out there.

Fortunately, I already had my own bittorrent distribution system going; and
I just turned off the direct file links.