[OT] The GPL and possible violations

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Mon Feb 20 19:39:26 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:

> With all caveats, yes. But remember, someone who knowingly receives
> stolen goods is known as a "fence" and commits an offence. I do not
> know what collateral effects there may be. But AFAICT, neither
> LGPL nor GPL prohibit that.

IANAL  [...but that hasn't stopped anyone else... :-)  ]

Someone who receives stolen goods may be charged with aiding and
abetting or as an accessory to robbery/burglary, etc. but a fence is a
person who "traffics" in stolen goods.  Their intent is to receive and
resell the stolen property for profit.

Ref: http://www.answers.com/topic/fence

--R