Can GRUB boot GRUB?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 20 20:04:28 UTC 2006

Iain Stephen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two HDDs sda and hda.
>
> sda (master SATA):
> 	WindowsXP (30GB)   Only because I need it for OU work.
> 	FC4       (200GB)  Because I love it.
>
> hda (master IDE):
> 	Debian    (20GB)   Because I like trying other Linux's.
>
> I would like to use hda for Debian (or perhaps testing FC5) but I want
> GRUB on hda to be independent of GRUB on sda; so that if Debian updated
> its version of GRUB's menu.lst I wouldn't need to edit menu.lst on sda.
> What I'm looking for is a way for GRUB on sda to boot GRUB on hda in the
> same way as GRUB can boot Windows.

Ok. I'm not sure why you want to do it this way, but GRUB should have
no problem chain loading either from the MBR of hda, or from the BR
of one of the partitions on hda.

I suggest that you try making a GRUB boot floppy, and getting it
to work from there. Try to create a version of GRUB that can
chain load any of WinXP, FC4, and Debian GRUB. It should just
take a simple chainload. That way you can disentangle your work
from possibly breaking your current boot capabilities.

If you don't have a floppy, then GET one! Playing around with boot
when you don't have a flopy is not the way to go, IMO.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.