Grub config file editing

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Tue Feb 21 00:02:53 UTC 2006

Greetings Dotan ,

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 2/16/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 22:07 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
>>
>> It does not "remember" your previous selection.  It does *always* boot
>> the kernel marked as default unless you make some other selection from
>> the menu.
>>

> Can I only boot from options in the menu? If I _know_ that I want to
> boot from hdb8 or from (1,8)

Watch out here !! This is partially wrong counting . Yes indeed
hdb is the Primary Slave ( the Second IDE Hard Disk of the system )
But 8 is the seventh partition of hdb so in order to boot from
hdb8 you would have to ask grub to boot from (1,7 ) .
By all means you can do that while the computer boots , at the
boot menu press "e" make the change and go ahead .....

Kind Regards,
   Kostas