OT? Installing foreign package as rpm

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Tue Feb 21 00:42:19 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Also, in this particular case, the FC4 RPM might just
> work, anyway. But I think the information on how to
> install as RPMs is applicable to most foreign packages
> and most/all versions of FC.

If you have the FC4 src.rpm, install it and try to rebuild it for FC2...
I'll surelly need some poking and editing, but it may be easy to do...
After you install the src.rpm with rpm -ivh , just go to /usr/src/redhat
(that's usually where it's placed, unless you have configured your
.rpmrc) and search for the .spec file.. Do some tweaking, then try do
build with rpmbuild -ba something.spec... Keep doing that until it works ;)
Usually if you can manually build the software through the old
configure, make , make install routine, it should be fairly easy to make
the spec of a "future" version work on an older version.

--
Pedro Macedo