[OT] The GPL and possible violations

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:59:34 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 14:30 -0800, jdow wrote:
> > Another troll. This list is turning pretty sour - again.
>
> This is NOT a troll.
> Just for your information - Linux is the only OS I use, and the only OS
> I have used in quite some time.
>
> And no - this hasn't been discussed that I have seen.
> This is a different issue than distributing binary modules - this is
> distributing the binary modules WITH the kernel.

Aggregate media (read: simply having a file on distribution media that
also contains GPL software) does not fall under the GPL.  This is
explicitly stated in the license and also by RMS himself.  There is no
point to discuss.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."