Quick rsync question

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Feb 22 00:10:48 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:

> file again. Now in this case, it's possible that the timestamps were not
> the same, because there's a good chance I did not use the preserve
> settings with cp. BUT, I think I have copied files using Windows over

> data/Baptism/DSC00681.JPG is uptodate
> data/Baptism/DSC00682.JPG is newer

Well it seems to be something to do with the timestamps by the "is
newer".  Maybe it is some 'feature' of the filesystem that is on the
destination drive, is it mounted with any unusual options?  But I don't
really understand how mv inside the same filesystem as when you
corrected the directory placement will mess with the timestamp.

Maybe try:

mv data/Baptism/DSC00681.JPG data
mv data/DSC00681.JPG data/Baptism

and then see if the rsync suddenly believes it needs copying again... at
least you prove it is some feature of the mv action that changes the
file state somehow.

-Andy