Cannot use fourth IDE HDD with FC3 ?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 22 00:44:35 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 11:01 +0700, Amrit Angsusingh wrote:
>
>>Although I certainly sure that I do already use the fdisk and mkfs on
>>Hdd , I will do it again. But is there any other reason for that for
>>ex.  setting jumper on hdd?
>

> You might check jumper settings on all drives.  I have had good luck
> with modern drives and cables with using cable select for the drive
> jumpering.  Others say that all drives should be jumpered to
> master/slave even when using the CS cables.

Sounds like a good idea to check jumpering. Whatever you do, don't try
to mix the jumpering so one drive is jumpered as M/S and the other
as CS. I've not had good experience with CS, and am one of those
Jeff warned you would say use M/S jumpering.

> If a drive is attached to the end connection of a CS cable (black
> connector) it must be jumpered to master or CS.  Similarly if connected
> to the middle connector (usually grey) if must be jumpered to slave or
> CS.

Eh? Don't think so.

> Those connectors are wired as master (end) and slave (middle) so the
> jumpering must match.
>
> I recommend always using CS for the drive jumpering based on my
> experience with some problems seen when using master/slave jumpering on
> the CS cables. YMMV

[snip]

> This certainly seems like a problem addressing the drive and may be
> jumper related or drive/cable related.

On this we are agreed.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.