Can GRUB boot GRUB?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 21:50:08 UTC 2006

Iain Stephen wrote:
> I would like to use hda for Debian (or perhaps testing FC5) but I want
> GRUB on hda to be independent of GRUB on sda; so that if Debian updated
> its version of GRUB's menu.lst I wouldn't need to edit menu.lst on sda.
> What I'm looking for is a way for GRUB on sda to boot GRUB on hda in the
> same way as GRUB can boot Windows.

What works for me:

title Fedora Core 5 test
        rootnoverify (hd1,5)
        chainloader +1

The FC5 test has grub installed on the boot sector of /dev/hdb6.

I'd imagine that if you have grub installed on the MBR of hda, you'd
want
        rootnoverify (hd1)
assuming that your BIOS is set to boot from SATA by preference.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Say it with flowers, send a triffid.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |