Screensavers - Removing

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Feb 23 01:23:16 UTC 2006

Analogkid wrote:

>Is it possible to remove a specific screensaver?  There are just a
>couple which I prefer not to have, or which my vid card doesn't
>display very well.
>
>Do I need to edit a config file?  Or can I rm the program itself?  If
>they can be removed, where are they stored?
>
>Thank you
>
>Pete

Taking a quick look at the rpm's for xscreensaver, I find that files are
stored to
/usr/share/xscreensaver/config/       and
/usr/libexec/xscreensaver/  and of course the man pages at
/usr/share/man/man1/

the first directory are the .xml files that have configuration data, and
the second directory has the executables.

of course if you are using FC4 or earlier, you should be able to stop
the individual screensavers in the preferences panel.
If you are using FC5Tx and the gnome-screensaver the files may have
changed locations. check by opening a terminal and typing

rpm -ql gnome-screensaver

see what that tells you

Scott