Re: Hard disk drivers at bootup with new kernel

<><Randall Grimshaw
Room 203 Machinery Hall
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY   13244
315-443-5779
rgrimsha syr edu

>>> ptho firefly nlm nih gov 2/23/2006 10:19 AM >>>
> We have a High Point Sata controller. When we boot up with an updated
> kernel, the OS reports that it cannot find the disk.

> How do we tell the new kernel at boot up where to find the driver?

> Details: grub can see the available kernels; booting on the old kernel
> works; booting with the new kernel gives the cannot find disk message.

vaugely described: (because our situations do not match exactly)
What we have discovered with rhel is that it is neccessary to compile the kernel with certain drivers linked statically - rather than as modules. This was not neccessary with fc4 in our case so ymmv.