Slow FC4, perhaps swap is to blame

Robert F. Chapman robert_chapman at maximhq.com
Thu Feb 23 19:04:26 UTC 2006

This is just the opposite problem that I have.  When I first boot up
it seems that everything is slow. I click on the applications tab and it
can take 30 seconds before it shows up.  I start a desktop app and again
it will take 30-50 seconds before it comes up.  Once I have run a few
apps etc. and things are cached, then the problem seems to go away.
Until my memory fills up.

Why is Gnome so unresponsive before things are cached. I'm running a
2GHz system with 512Megs of RAM, and 7200 rpm PATA 133 hard drive.

Robert