Hard drive cable question -

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 23 19:45:54 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Also, if the cable is a cable select cable, as evidenced by having a
> black connector on what should be the motherboard and, and 2 other
> colors are used for the other two connectors, then the drives should be
> jumpered for CS, and the master drive must be on the far end of the
> cable.

"Should be jumpered" for CS a bit strong. I'd say "may". I don't have
any machines which use CS, and I do have a few CS cables. And I think
you have the colors mixed up. IIRC, the blue end is for the MB.

> Also as a reference, these 80 pin cables should NEVER be turned end for
> end, as its only the black connector that is suppposed to be plugged
> into the motherboard that has the proper grounding connected to the
> alternate wires in that 80 conductor cable, thereby serving as
> interconductor shielding by haveing a grounded wire between each active
> wire, thereby reducing crosstalk by a considerable amount.

Other than getting the color wrong, this is also good advice.
Have you checked your setup?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.