Need Recommendation for RAID Monitoring Software

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Feb 23 20:16:41 UTC 2006

List users,

We are running Fedora Core 3 on multiple Dell PowerEdge servers.  Each
machine has an onboard LSI Logic PERC 4e/Si RAID controller, megaraid
drivers (2.20), and two SCSI disks configured in a RAID 1 (mirrored).

As part of our backup routine, we pull out a drive from each machine and
swap in a new one.  The pulled drives are stored as backups, and the
mirrors are rebuilt on the new disks.

This has been working well for us, but we have not been able to find
software that allows us to monitor the rebuild.  The only ways that we
can tell when it is complete are by monitoring the drive activity lights
or by rebooting the server and going into the RAID controller's firmware
utility.  The first method is error-prone and the second method is not a
valid option, because we need to keep the machines available during the
rebuild.

I'm fairly certain that there is Dell software for RAID monitoring from
the OS, but it is Windows specific.  I would greatly appreciate it if
someone could recommend a text-mode software package for FC3 that offers
the same functionality as well as the ability to monitor the RAIDs for
disk failures.

Thank you,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions