CUPS Not pre-rendering PostScript

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 24 02:55:27 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 23 February 2006 15:36, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>>
>>>I assume by the Gnome Print Manager you mean system-config-printer.
>>>This program just does not work properly in a CUPS environment.
>>>Set up your printer using the CUPS web interface
>>>and I think you will find the results will be more to your liking.
>>
>>Ok, I tried that, and it doesn't even have as many options as
>>does the system-config-printer. In particular, it doesn't know
>>anything about pre-rendering.
>>
>>Mike
>

> It may not Mike, but what it does do, is right.

Probably so. But it didn't change anything in the setup that
I could find, except a few lines saying what tool did the
setup. In fact, I can't find anything that "prerendering" changes
in any of the files documented by CUPS, and I read every word
of documentation I could find on my machine, which has the
CUPS docu installed. I now know the layout of a .ppd file
and could create one by hand, if I had to, not that I'd
*want* to :-)

But I know it's somewhere.

The places I found it using Googls were all Red Hat related,
so I guess it's a Red Hat thing, not a CUPS thing. Also,
prerendering does not do what I thought (based on what I heard,
that is) if the Red Hat documentation is correct. What the Red Hat
docu says is the *unusual fonts* get prerendered (I guess to
images) and then the postscript is massaged to make it
all postscript level 1 (no 2 or 3), but the output is still
postscript.

I know this: Turning "prerendering" on turned print jobs
which took 30 minutes per page into jobs that took 0.25
minutes per page, but not for "two up" printing, and I still
don't know why. I also know that the output from mpage does
essentially the same thing, and also prints at 4 ppm when
printed via my "non-two-up" 300dpi queue for that printer.

My guess is that it is behind CUPS where this is happening,
in the back end. Maybe I'll have a look at the source
for HPIJS and see what I can find.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.