Hard drive cable question -

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 24 04:57:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 23:18, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

>> And someone else quoted the last two in reverse.  Can someone PLEASE
>> go get one of these friggin cables and settle the argument?  Good
>> color vision required of course :)
>
>Gene:
>I went through some Maxtor data sheets, and they say that blue goes to
>the motherboard, gray to the slave and black to the master. I noted
> that Maxtor refers to the cable as a "UDMA interface cable". My
> understanding is that the 80 wire cables came into existence to
> handle the higher data speeds required by the UDMA interface, and
> don't have anything to do with cable select. Maxtor also states that
> the supplied cable is to be used with either type of jumpering.
> Although Maxtor does not explictly state that the gray/slave
> black/master must observed when using master/slave jumpering, one of
> my hardware references [1] does say so.
>
>It's left as an exercise for the reader to dissect a cable and settle
>the crossover/straight-through/termination questions. My eyes are too
>old for that kind of crap -- especially at this hour.
>
>-- cmg

Hey now, thats my line!  At 71, I find I must use a strong lens to
inspect circuit boards for cracks and cold solder joints these days.

I have the tools, after 55 years of chaseing electrons for a living, who
doesn't, but trying to keep track of which hole in an 80 pin connector
that I actually have the pin plugged into gets to be pretty darned
tedious & mistake prone.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: