APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Feb 24 16:15:23 UTC 2006

| From: James Wilkinson <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk>

| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > I'm getting a lot of these messages showing up in dmesg output.
|
| Erm -- looks like you missed out a message here!

Sorry, I didn't put the message in the body, just the subject:
	APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

| > Description of system:
| > - HP Pavilion a1350n desktop computer
| > - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
| > - ATI chipset
| > - nVidia 7800GTX PCIe video card (and 450w Antec power supply to
| >   support it)
| > - Fedora Core 4 for x86_64 with updates as of last week
| > - kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 for x86_64
|
| Any other PCI cards? Especially from this system?

Not yet (hardly any room: the video card is two and a half slots
wide).  I don't *think* that the problem can be with PCI cards, I
think that it is an internal chipset thing.  On the "APIC bus".

| I ran a BP6 system until last year (although I didn't overclock: I had
| 433 MHz processors) and never saw APIC errors.

Interesting.  If you google for APIC error BP6 you get a lot of hits.
I saw a hint that it might be due to running the bus at 100MHz instead
of the specified 66MHz:
  http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9912.2/0109.html