samba shares in FC4

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Feb 24 16:49:03 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 24 February 2006 13:09, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>Is the username you are using on the client the same as the one on the
>>server? If not, you might try mapping them in /etc/samba/smbusers, e.g.:
>>
>>server-username = client-username
>>anne            = anne-wilson
>>
>>with an appropriate "username map = /etc/samba/smbusers" directive in
>>smb.conf of course.
>>

> The username is the same, whichever client I use.  The password and UID may or
> may not be, depending on the client box.
>
> Anne

When using Samba, the UID and password on the client box are
independent of the settings on the server. For that matter, if
you are using encrypted passwords, the password for the user on
the server may be different then the Samba password on the
server. Also, if you do not have an entry for a user in smbpasswd,
then the home directory for that user will not show up.

Mikkel