moving fedora to a new system

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Fri Feb 24 23:03:41 UTC 2006

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> I really haven't thought about this a lot but two observations might
> be made.
> 1. If you never ran a yum clean then all the rpms you installed
> through yum will be in the directories:
> /var/cache/yum/<repository name>/packages. So that takes care of the
> names of the rpms installed.

HMM. After running yum clean those directories are empty in my system.

> 2. However to install them on the new machine you would have to write
> a script that would I think( I am not sure about this) remove the tail
> part of the rpm name (such as the .lvn.1.4.i386.rpm part of the rpm
>  mplayerplug-in-2.80-0.lvn.1.4.i386.rpm. Then you would have to feed
>  them to yum -y update in small enough glops as to not exceed the 256
>  character limit on a execution line.

Will those names follow a clear convention? That is, can I find a
consistent delimiter between the package name and the package version?
If there is, I can then write a script to do the installs.

Jaime J. Davila
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College
School of Cognitive Science