Boot problem W2k/FC4 -

I have installed Windows 2000/NTFS on /dev/hda and FC4 on /dev/hdb but Grub is never displayed, Windows is booted immediately. I've tried installing grub in boot and mbr as offered in the installation routine with the same result.

I have a CDROM with some utilities on it that permit me to boot the computer with some basic Linux functions; I see that fdisk shows both drives toggled to "boot." If I toggle the boot designation off on /dev/hda FC4 [dev/hdb] displays GRUB on the screen and stops ...

I've installed Windows and Fedora a number of times without encountering problems but now I've hit the wall! I don't understand the grub boot process well enough to troubleshoot this. I know I've seen similar questions asked but searching has been fruitless?

Any help appreciated.

Bob Goodwin,  Zuni, Virginia